Glory to God!
These past two weeks God has been continuing to speak to us about the Church and this is what He is showing us:
The family of God
- The Church is the family of God. Heb. 2:11
- As members of the family of God, the children of God have the same "DNA" as the Father - consequently the children have a family likeness (physical, character, nature, etc). John 14:7; 2 Cor. 3:18
- The children of God are heirs who receive their inheritance both now and in the future. Gal. 4:7
- The believer is made a son through faith in Jesus Christ. Gal. 3:26,27
- Sons of God are born of God and belong to Him. John 1:12,13
- To be "of God" is to be one with God. 1 Cor. 3:23; 6:17
- The believer is baptised into Christ and is therefore immersed in God. Acts 1:5; Gal. 3:26,27
- The believer is the habitation of God - God in us. 1 Cor. 3:16; 1 John 4:15; Col. 2:9,10
Living as sons
- In the parable of the prodigal son, we read about a father who has two sons (Luke 15:11-32). The sons belong to their father - just as the sheep belong to the shepherd (Luke 15:4) and the coins belong to the woman (Luke 15:8)! Similarly, the believer is a son who belongs to the Father.
- The parable describes how the younger son misuses the privilege of sonship and the older son who still tries to earn his sonship even though he is a son.
- Both sons are loved by the father but are not enjoying the intimacy of their father because of their sin and self-righteousness.
- The Father wants His sons to know their identity as sons and also to live as sons in intimate relationship with Him. For this reason God gives His children "the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, 'Abba, Father.'" Gal. 4:6
- God wants His sons to know their identity and to experience true sonship.
We praise God for revealing His love to us and for giving us a greater revelation and experience of His Fatherhood. Our Father is healing His children and restoring them to Himself. Lives are being changed as they are being conformed to true sonship (Rom. 8:29). Hallelujah!
Quote of the week:
"Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, 'Abba, Father.' So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir." Gal. 4:6,7