Yesterday's meeting was awesome as the Lord revealed His holiness to us and drew every one of us to our knees in worship of, and surrender to Him. God is continuing to prepare us, purify us, and sanctify us for His purposes and His glory! Hallelujah!
As the Lord continues to teach us about the identity, the purpose and the goal of the Church, and how authority links all three as we live in covenant with God and one another, He is taking us back to the roots. Looking at Acts 2:42-47 the Lord showed us the following:
1. Christ's Church is made up of a people who are devoted.
- A devoted people are a people set apart to be unconditionally and continuously committed to God and one another.
2. The Church is to be devoted to the apostle's teaching by submitting to the authority of spiritual leadership and the teaching of God's Word.
- God's Word must be received in the spirit by a people who have a teachable spirit and do not listen subjectively - only then can we discern truth spiritually and allow God's Word to do its work in us.
- The Bereans received the Word first and then they examined the Word. Acts 17:11
3. The Church is to be devoted to the fellowship.
- True fellowship (Koinonia) is not only a physical gathering but also communion in soul and spirit.
- True fellowship in the Church is a reflection of the same fellowship the Father has with the Son. John 17:20-23; 1 John 1:3
- The Church is to be a fellowship of the Holy Spirit. 2 Cor. 13:14
4. The Church is to be devoted to the breaking of bread together.
- The breaking of bread is communion - sharing the Lord's supper.
- Communion proclaims the reality of Christ's death that has set us free from the power of the enemy - providing salvation, healing and deliverance for those who believe.
- Communion establishes the new covenant in Jesus' blood and our unity in the Spirit with God and with one another. 1 Cor.11:23-26
A devoted people are a people set apart to be unconditionally and continuously committed to God and to one another
We praise God for an awesome 2008 and we are looking forward to 2009 - a year of breakthrough and fruitfulness! Hallelujah!
Quote of the week:
"They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles." Acts 2:42,43