Glory to God!
Yesterday the Lord spoke to us about worship and this is what He showed us:
- God saves us to set us apart to be a holy people - a people who belong to God and worship only Him. Exodus 7:16; John 4:23,24; 1 Peter 2:9; Eph. 1:11,12
- Salvation restores man to true fellowship and communion with God and turns "rebels into worshippers" (A.W. Tozer)
- To worship God is to honour and value Him above anything else.
- The believer is called to worship God with his life. Rom. 12:1
- Looking at the response of Martha and Mary to the presence of Jesus we see two forms of worship. Martha worshipped Jesus by serving Him whilst Mary worshipped Jesus by desiring to be with Him and being satisfied by Jesus alone. Both forms of worship honour Jesus but Jesus commends Mary for her actions and tells her that "one thing is needed." Luke 10:38-41
- True worship honours God when He is the believer's greatest desire and the One who satisfies him most.
- We honour those whom we spend time with because time is the only resource that can never be replenished!
- Spending time with God in the secret place because He is our greatest desire and only He can satisfy, honours God and glorifies Him most.
- God has created a God-shaped hole in each person that can only be filled with God (Blaise Pascal).
- Idolatry is desiring created things and being temporarily satisfied with them instead of desiring the Creator and being satisfied in Him. Isaiah 57:9,10; 1 Peter 4:2; Hosea 13:6
- The devil seeks to tempt man to desire and be satisfied by created things rather than the Creator.
- The Psalmists worshipped and honoured God when their desire was for Him alone. Psalm 73:25; 42:1,2; 27:4; 63:1
- Being satisfied, filled and content in God is great gain! 1 Tim. 6.6; Phil. 4:11; Eph. 5:18
- The Psalmists worshipped God when they were most satisfied in God. Psalm 17:15; 63:5; 90:14; 23:1
God is looking for worshippers who value and honour Him above everything else because they desire Him more than anything created and find satisfaction in Him more than in anything else.
We praise God for teaching us to be true worshippers!
Quote of the week
"When I awake, I will be satisfied, for I will see you face to face." Psalm 17:15